Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Post!

This blog exists because I thought it might be interesting for people to read (and for me to write) about becoming a flight instructor in small, single-engine, General Aviation aircraft. I have never done anything like this before, so we will see how it goes. Right now the plan is to post whenever I have an interesting experience regarding flying, teaching, or whatever else happens in my life.


First, a little about myself. I am 22 years old, in my final semester of undergrad (degree in History with minors in Chemistry and Spanish), and earned my Commercial Pilot Certificate from the FAA about 3 months ago. This does not mean that I can fly for the airlines (you need an Airline Transport Pilot certificate for that), but I can fly any single-engine land plane for hire. Basically, I can fly parachute jumpers, tow banners, give sight-seeing flights, carry cargo, and you can hire me to fly you around in your airplane. As of today, I have just over 260 total flight hours (after almost 3 years flying), and endorsements to fly Complex, High Performance airplanes, as well as to fly in instrument conditions (low visibility, inside clouds, etc.). My FAA exam to earn the flight instructor certificate is scheduled for January 22.


I have been studying for this test every day for weeks, and for a little longer than that total. I have had to pass two different written exams, take spin recovery training, and learn about so many other things. Psychology of learning, methods of teaching, procedures and common errors for every maneuver to be taught to Student, Sport, Recreational, Private, and Commercial Pilot candidates, and many technical subject areas such as Federal Air Regulations, aeromedical problems, airspace, weather, aerodynamics, and many others. This is a lot of material to keep in my head at once, and I need as much of it as possible to be there come test day.


Stay tuned for more! I'm not sure what I'll put up between now and my exam, but Jan 23 at least will see a full write-up posted here. Throughout this blog, the names used will have been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment